Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

If I’m Lyin’, My Son Is Dyin’

, , | Right | CREDIT: HenriquesDumbCousin | August 11, 2021

I work for a car rental company as an escalation agent. Basically, when a customer demands a supervisor, I take the call.

Customer: “I was going to cancel this reservation, and much to my surprise, when I clicked the cancel button, it said that I was going to be charged a fee.”

Me: “Can you please tell me why you’re cancelling the reservation?”

Customer: “I was going to take my son to a soccer tournament, so I paid for this rental, but another parent offered to take us to the tournament, so I don’t need the vehicle anymore.”

Me: “Is there a possibility that instead of cancelling the reservation, we could reschedule it for another location or time?”

Customer: “I would, but I don’t travel too often.”

Me: “I do apologize, ma’am, but if I were to cancel the reservation, there would be a cancellation fee.”

Customer: “But your agent never said there would be a cancellation fee. I specifically asked if I could cancel at any time and he said yes.”

Statements like that make me think that the customer isn’t being honest. She insists that she made all the “necessary” questions and that the agent never warned her about the consequences of cancelling the reservation.

Me: “I’m truly sorry, but my hands are tied.”

Customer: “Your hands aren’t tied. I’ve worked for customer service for like a million years. Well, maybe not that long, but I know you can do something about the fee.”

Me: “Uhhh…”

Customer: “I used to work for Customer Service in [Rival Rental Car Company].”

Me: “Different company, different policies, ma’am.”

Customer: “Yeah, but your hands aren’t tied. I could say that my son just died and you’d have to give me my refund.”

I’m unable to believe what this woman just told me.

Me: “If that was the case, I’d require you to send a death certificate, ma’am.”

The customer laughs in disbelief.

Customer: “Oh, my God… What’s the number for corporate?”

I give her the number.

Customer: “Thank you, goodbye.” *Hangs up*

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!