Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Idle Hands Are The Devil’s Auto Shop

| Working | November 22, 2012

(I’m working at a new auto service center. It’s in the outer part of the city with very little street traffic and has no clientele base. I clean, process what little paperwork there is, write out hundreds of business solicitations, and call individual homes. However, there was very little else for me to do during the day. After about two weeks of being completely bored out of my mind, I get a visit from the owner.)

Owner: “What have you been working on?”

Me: “I’ve hand written and mailed those letters you wanted sent out, I clean all the rooms as much as I can, and I’ve been studying the material you gave me to learn about.”

Owner: “Well, what are you doing now?”

Me: “I’ve been calling the individual homes from the list you gave me, but, honestly, I could really use more work. Is there something else that I can do?”

Owner: “Well, that’s what you’re supposed to figure out.”

Me: “Believe me, I’ve tried, but I really can’t think of anything that I haven’t already been doing.”

Owner: “Well, you need to find something else.”

Me: “Like what? I’m really not sure what else I can be doing during the day. Is there something you want me to work on?”

Manager: “Just find something.”

Owner: “It’s your job to figure out what you’re supposed to do.”

(A few weeks later I was laid off because they didn’t have enough business to support having one employee. I now personally manage a local business, and although I rarely get a moment’s rest, I enjoy the work. I secretly smile every time I drive by the now vacant building.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!