Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

I Used To Work Here, Does Not Work Here

| Right | November 26, 2014

(I’m currently shopping at a department store. I did in fact work in this store… more than ten years ago. Since then it has renovated twice, totally reorganizing the layout and expanding the tiny grocery section to nearly full supermarket size, but because I shop there so often I know my way around. I also have long hair, for a male, that I keep well washed and trimmed in a ponytail.)

Customer #1: “Excuse me, I know you don’t work here, but do you know where [products] are?”

Me: “Last I saw them, they were down just on the other side of the produce stuff.”

Customer #1: “Thank you!”

(Another customer approaches after this exchange.)

Customer #2: “Wait, you work here?”

Me: “Not for about a decade, no.”

Customer #2: “Then why did you help her?”

Me: “Because she asked and I knew?”

Customer #2: “Well, that’s horribly rude of you! You’re taking away the jobs of the people that still work!”

Me: “No, I was saving someone the hassle of either finding an employee, or buzzing for one and having to wait.”

Customer #2: “That’s still the employees’ job! And what, you quit a decade ago and you’re still not working?!”

Me: *laughing at this point* “Are you serious? WHY would you think that?!”

Customer #2: “That ridiculous hair of yours, for one. You look like a slob!”

Me: “Funny, that’s not what the CEO of the company said when he was congratulating me on my promotion to the manager of the shipping department where I work now. Now, do YOU need help finding anything? Or can I get back to getting my groceries?”

(I’m not sure whether she was more astounded by the fact that I ‘dared’ talk back to her, or that I was calm yet laughing the whole time, but she was still giving me a death glare when I went to go about my business!)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!