Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

I Hate It When I Miss Kilometer-Wide Spaceships, Too

, , | Right | October 20, 2009

Customer: “Excuse me, I was just wondering… I see some signs out there on the front door that say, ‘Theaters For Humans Only.’ Can you tell me what those are?”

Me: “Oh, those are some promotional signs for an upcoming movie, District 9. They’re designed to look like real warning signs as part of a viral marketing campaign.”

Customer: “Oh, cool! So what’s the movie going to be about?

(I explain the overall plot to the customer. Halfway through, her boyfriend returns from the restroom and listens quietly while I finish explaining.)

Me: “…so the aliens land in South Africa, and they end up becoming like refugees.”

Customer’s Boyfriend: *completely serious* “Wait, hang on a second… so are the aliens real?!”

Me: “Oh, no. It’s the plot of this movie called District 9.”

Customer’s Boyfriend: “Oh, good! I thought there’d been some news report and I’d missed it or something. Wouldn’t want to feel silly!”


This story is part of the Aliens roundup!

Read the next Aliens roundup story!

Read the Aliens roundup!


This story is part of the South Africa Roundup!

Read the next South Africa Roundup story!

Read the South Africa Roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!