Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

I Dreamed A Dream Of Life Without My Sister

, , , , | Related | CREDIT: Vardrac | April 15, 2021

I joined the military in 2014. Since then, it has been very difficult for me to go home; I haven’t been home in four years. I have just gotten home from a ten-hour flight. I have not slept for two days, and I let my family know this before I even land. They are all understanding. “Great,” I think. My mom picks me up at the airport and we grab food and go home. I decide to try and stay awake with my mom until she has to go to work. This is futile, as my lack of sleep is rapidly catching up on me. My mom informs me that my sister will be over after she leaves. I nod and tell her I am going to bed.

My mom calls my sister and tells her that I will be sleeping by the time she gets here and to use the back door. I am starting to feel feverish because of how little sleep I’ve had and it’s hard to fall asleep. But fast forward about an hour and a half: my mom has left for work and I’m fast asleep.

I am awoken suddenly by loud banging at the door. I assume this is my sister. I remember what my mom said and try to go back to sleep. She walks to the bedroom window and begins to bang on this, as well. Very annoyed, I get up and unlock the front door and open it. I then immediately go back to bed without saying anything because I can barely see straight, let alone stand.

About five minutes pass and my sister enters the room.

Sister: “Why didn’t you wait by the door for us?”

Me: “Because I’m tired, [Sister], and it’s making me sick.”

Sister: “And? I came over here to see you, and I brought my fiancé and step-kids, too.”

Me: “Well, that’s good. If you hang around a while, I’ll be up in a few hours and we can hang out then.”

My sister didn’t hear me, apparently, because I turn over to look and there are the kids, who seem nice.

Me: “Oh, hello, I’m [My Name].”

The kids say hello and introduce themselves. I manage a smile at them while my sister huffs angrily and walks out of the bedroom with the kids. I assume she has gotten the picture, so I roll over and fall asleep immediately.

About ten minutes later, I’m woken up again suddenly by my sister yelling at me.

Sister: “DO YOU KNOW HOW RUDE AND DISRESPECTFUL YOU ARE BEING?”

Me: “What are you talking about?”

Sister: “I BROUGHT EVERYONE OVER TO MEET YOU AND YOU THINK IT’S MORE IMPORTANT TO SLEEP?”

Me: “I told you, I haven’t slept—”

Sister: “I DON’T CARE! YOU’RE BEING A CHILD ABOUT IT!”

Me: “Okay, [Sister].”

I stop listening to her as she continues her rant. Eventually, she storms out of the house, slamming the door behind her. Of course, since she has no keys, she can’t lock the doors to the house, so I have to get up and do it.

My mom returns home from work late that night.

Mom: “What happened with your sister today?”

I explain to her exactly what happened, sparing no details. She sighs.

Mom: “I think you should apologize to her.”

Me: “For sleeping?”

Mom: “She came out here to see you.”

Me: “And she knew I hadn’t slept in two days.”

Mom: “She didn’t know.”

Me: “I told her before I got here and you told her earlier before you left for work. What do you mean, ‘She didn’t know’?”

Silence.

Mom: “Well, she’s your sister and you should still apologize.”

Me: “Okay, Mom.”

The next morning, I messaged my sister, apologizing for sleeping while she was there. I tried calling, but it went straight to voicemail. Thinking that was the end of it, I decided to let it go.

I got a phone call from Dad later in the day, and the conversation went pretty much the same as it had with my mom the previous night.

I was pissed. Everyone knew I hadn’t slept and I needed to sleep. Yet here I was, completely in the wrong. I’d been gone for four years and I was being treated rather horribly by my own family.

I later found out that [Sister] would not come to Thanksgiving unless I apologized for being a rude a**hole. That pushed me over the edge, and I decided that if she wanted to act like a spoiled brat like she always had, then she could. I wasn’t going to apologize again for sleeping.

True to her word, my sister did not show up for Thanksgiving. The entire week, both of my parents urged me to apologize to her and be the bigger person. I told them that I had already apologized and refused to do so again. I left after the holiday without seeing my sister again.

I wish this had a happy ending, but it never does with my sister.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!