Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

I Don’t Think I’m Turning Japanese

| Related | February 6, 2015

(I am hanging out in my room, when my mother comes home.)

Mom: “So, [My Name], I just heard on the radio that there’s an anime convention in Austin.”

(This piques my interest, as I do have a liking towards anime. I watch Toonami on Saturdays, and own a couple of anime DVD and blu-rays.)

Me: “Really? Cool!”

Mom: “So, I was wondering if you wanted to go there or not. I don’t know when it is.”

(After looking up times, I tell her Saturday may be our best option on that matter. My mom has definitely HEARD of anime, but I don’t think she knows that much about it.)

Mom: “So, anime is like that Chinese sort of thing, right?”

Me: *chuckles* “Actually, Japanese, mom. They’re both in Asia, though.”

Mom: “Oh, well, you know what I mean.” *laughs*

(We end up not going, but that is fine by me. A few days later, she, my sister, and I go to a nearby flea market. I notice one of the sellers is selling an anime-esque VCD set. My instincts get the better of me, and I take a look at it.)

Seller: *to me* “I gotta say, young man, that thing has a lot of discs.”

Mom: “It has a lot of discs? Really?”

(I open it up, and sure enough, it is a lot.)

Mom: “Oh, wow. So, I guess it’s all in Japanese, right?”

(She notices none of it is in English, and is trying to be correct about it.)

Seller: “Yeah, Japanese. It’s $20.”

(I end up not buying it. A few minutes later…)

Me: “You know, mom, I know I had to correct you that anime is Japanese, not Chinese, but that time, I think it actually was Chinese…”


This story is part of our Anime roundup!

Read the next Anime roundup story!

Read the Anime roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!