Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

I Bet He Feels Wheely Bad

, , , , | Right | March 27, 2020

(Prior to this story, I got into an accident that caused me to break my left leg and severely bruise my right leg. I’m able to commute to work regardless, and since I work behind a desk as IT support, it usually goes fine… until a guest comes in that demands to be helped on the spot. He stands at the counter as he stares at me before he begins to talk.)

Customer: “You, with the glasses! Help me. Come on.”

Me: “Of course, sir. What can I do for you today?”

Customer: “I have a tablet that won’t connect with my work email anymore. I need to be able to access it.”

Me: “I’ll take a look at it. Could you hand me the tablet, please?” *holds out my hand*

(The customer looks me over suspiciously and I’m starting to get the feeling he doesn’t trust me. Note: he can’t see I’m in a wheelchair because I’m behind the desk.)

Customer: “No, I’d rather you come up here so you can show me.”

Me: “Oh, sir, I’m sorry, but I can’t. See, I–”

(Before I can explain that I cannot get to the desk due to my wheelchair, he interrupts and suddenly becomes irate)

Customer: “Why the f*** not?! I knew it! You were planning to look through my private information, weren’t you?!”

Me: *shocked and confused* “N-no sir, I am simply unable to come to the desk due to m–”

Customer: “Screw you! I’ve been waiting here for 20 minutes and had to walk all the way here from [Location], which is another 20-minute walk. If I can do that, you can get off your lazy a** and get to the desk!”

Me: “Sir, I am trying to explain that I cannot stand up due to my current condition.”

(I roll my wheelchair backward and show in clear view that my leg is in a cast and the other is wrapped up.)

Customer: *visibly turns a little pale* “Oh… Oh, I’m so sorry. I just… I mean…”

Me: “Sir, if I may, you probably had a long day. Let’s just take a look at the tablet and get it fixed, okay?”

Customer: “Yeah… Yeah… Thanks.”

(I fixed the problem and he got his email back. He came back the next day with a box that contained all kinds of goodies and he apologized for his behavior. That was the first time I had a customer that actually felt bad about yelling at me.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!