Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

I Am 17, Going On No Thanks

| Romantic | November 14, 2016

(I’m a cashier at a well-known fast-food restaurant. I’m prone to forget every person that enters the store, especially the regular customers, so I develop a way to identify who is who based on what stands out from each person. One couple stands out the most, because not only because they are a biracial couple, but they a have a “Romeo and Juliet” love story going on. One day I see the guy without his “Juliet.”)

Me: “Hey, I didn’t notice you without her around you.”

Customer: *frowning* “Oh… yeah, her.”

Me: *catching on* “Oh! I am so sorry it didn’t work out with her.”

Customer: “Yeah, she isn’t what I thought she is.”

Me: “That’s okay. There’s plenty of fish in the sea.”

Customer: *suddenly smirking* “Yeah, and it looks like I’m going to reel one in.”

Me: “Aww. Who’s the lucky girl?”

Customer: *leans over the counter* “How old are you?”

Me: “Um…17. I just graduated this year and currently taking online classes so that I can still work.”

Customer: *frowning* “Oh. Well, I’m 19 and I just thought that since you’re a nice looking girl and I’m a nice looking guy that… you know… we can…”

Me: *shaking my head* “Sorry. I don’t hook up with customers at work and even if I see you outside of work… No. Just no.”

Customer: *getting offended* “Is it because I’m black? I bet you like some Mexican guys.”

(I’m half Puerto Rican and half Honduran.)

Me: “Nope. I like black guys more than Hispanics. Is just that being young I don’t want anybody right now.”

Customer: *in disbelief* “You were hurt in your last relationship, weren’t you?”

Me: “Sorry, but I’m not obligated to tell you anything personal about me.”

Customer: *upset* “But you know everything between me and [Ex-girlfriend]!”

Me: “But you did it at your own will. You didn’t have to tell me anything, but you still did. Now are you going to order something ? There’s actual customers coming in that actually wants to eat instead of pestering me.”

Customer: *gives up* “Fine. But as soon as you turn 18, you know where I live at.”

Me: “At a run-down motel down the street? Cool. Have a great day.”

(He leaves as soon as one of our regulars enters.)

Regular: “What’s this guy’s problem?”

Me: “Apparently he can’t take no for answer. He was trying to ask me out right after his girlfriend broke up with him even after I told him I was 17.”

Regular: *dumbfounded* “But aren’t you 19?”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!