Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

How To Ruin Someone’s Day For 73 Cents

, , , , , | Right | May 18, 2022

I am having a rough day with my store’s new manager changing my availability — the opposite of what we talked about, so I am crying about it during my lunch break. I get back from lunch and this is the first customer I help.

Customer: “Having a rough day?”

Me: “Yeah.”

Customer: “I can tell. That’s unfortunate.”

I smile at him.

Me: “That will be $4.00.”

I ring the customer up and he pays. I am handing him his receipt.

Customer: “$4.00? The card says $2.99.”

I go to point out the tax on his receipt when I notice he donated $0.73 to kid-cents which basically just donates money to kids by rounding up to the nearest dollar.

Me: “Oh, you must have pushed the button—”

Customer: *Interrupting me* “I didn’t push a button.”

Me: “The only way for this to show up on your receipt is if you pushed the button—”

Customer: *Interrupts me again* “Where is your manager?”

Me: “I am—”

Customer: “I want corporate’s number.”

Me: “Sir, I can return—”

Customer: “Corporate’s number and your name.”

I give corporate’s number.

Customer: “And your name?”

I’m staring at him because he flipped a switch from being super nice to being aggressive and demanding.

Customer: “Don’t just stare at me.”

Me: “My name is on the back of the receipt.”

I show him where.

Customer: “Tell me your name!”

I tell him my name.

Customer: “Now was that so hard?”

I turned my body so he could only see the side of my face and I locked my register. My cashier was standing behind me witnessing all of this. I was physically shaking and holding back tears. I heard the customer leave, and as soon as the doors closed, I started sobbing. I excused myself to the office and cried there for fifteen minutes. This guy knew I was having a rough day and decided to make it worse.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!