Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

How Hard Is It To Understand? No ID, No Smokes!

, , , | Right | CREDIT: grisver | June 1, 2021

I work at a dollar store that also happens to be the only grocery store in my small rural town. Most of our customers are regulars who live nearby, and I have a friendly relationship with many of them.

About a month ago, our managers called a staff meeting and explained that we had to start getting stricter about carding people for tobacco. We have to ask to see a physical ID every time we sell tobacco products, even if the person is a regular who comes in every day and is clearly elderly. We also have to see the IDs of every person in the shopping party who looks to be older than fifteen, meaning parents can’t buy cigarettes with their older teenage kids in tow.

I think the rule is stupid, but I follow it because my managers emphasize how important it is and how we could lose our jobs if we don’t. I usually tell parents with teenage kids that they can finish their transaction, go put their groceries and kids in the car, and come back inside to buy cigarettes. Most people are annoyed about this but accept it.

One day, I have two older men I’ve never seen before come in to buy snacks. One of them wants cigarettes. As per policy, I ask to see both of their IDs. They argue with me for a bit about it because the guy who isn’t buying them doesn’t have his ID, and they are both clearly over sixty.

Customer #1: “I don’t understand why you’re being like this. I can’t accept that you’re too dumb to tell that I’m over twenty-one.”

Me: “I know, right? I can’t believe they’re making me enforce such a pointless rule. Trust me, I’d love to sell you your cigarettes, but I don’t want to risk my job and they’ve been tough on us lately.”

Customer #1: “Well, I ain’t leaving without my cigarettes.”

Me: “It’s not in my power to make that call. Let me get you my manager to speak to.”

Customer #1: “Yeah, get your manager. Maybe he’ll have some common sense.”

I get my store manager and explain the situation. He tries to explain the policy to the guys, but they keep escalating it and they’re starting to yell, so he backtracks and tells me to just give them the cigarettes. At this point, I am kind of relieved because I think it will shut them up. I am wrong.

Me: “I’m sorry about all that, sir.”

Customer #1: “No, you’re not. Don’t act like you’re sorry. You’re just mad the manager wouldn’t let you get away with it.”

At this point, I’m just in customer service robot mode.

Me: “I’m glad you got your cigarettes! I hope you found everything else you need today!”

Customer #1: “How old are you? How old are you?!”

Me: “I’m twenty-three.”

Customer #1: “I’m old enough to be your grandfather. And you could see that for yourself if you’d just open your d*** eyes and have some common sense. Do you even know what that means? I come from a generation where a thing called ‘common sense’ ran the world, but I don’t think young people even know what that means anymore.”

Customer #2: “Be careful; you’re going to offend him! Young people get so offended when you talk about common sense!”

They both had a good laugh about that, and I forced a smile, very politely bagged their items, and wished them a nice day. Then, I locked myself in the bathroom to practice breathing exercises until I no longer had the urge to jump over the counter and fight an old man. The sad thing is, I would have just suggested that the guy with the ID get back in line without his friend to buy them if he hadn’t been so d*** rude to me.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!