Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

How Dare You Use Technology?!

, , , , | Right | January 7, 2020

(I’m fairly new and still figuring things out, so I have a coworker standing next to me to make sure I’m entering into the till right.)

Me: “Can I get your first and last name, please?”

(The customer gives their name and asks if we have the discount program. Our store sends discounts by email; we don’t give out a card anymore.)

Me: “Yes, we do! We don’t hand out cards anymore; we just take your email and send you the discounts that way, and if you have a smartphone, you can just show us from your phone or print off the coupons! Could I get your email?”

Customer: “I think that’s ridiculous that everything is on the computer or you have to have one of these stupid smartphones to do anything anymore. Don’t sign me up; we’re old school and we don’t have a computer or smartphone.”

(The customer continues to grumble, and then the husband pipes in with more ranting about technology these days.)

Me: “Well, I’m sorry, guys, but considering the fact that most people have a smartphone or computer these days… it just seems logical, don’t you think?”

Customer: “I still don’t think that’s fair to those who don’t!”

Me: “I understand, but I’m just an employee and I can’t change the policies. Sorry.”

(The customer continues being cranky with her husband on their way out the door.)

Coworker: “Did she really just get upset that we use email instead of a card? Normally, people are happy they don’t have to carry another random card in their wallet.”

Me: “Uh… yup… I felt like I was a five-year-old being scolded. I’m gonna go take fifteen, I think.”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!