Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Hopefully, They Don’t Have Identity Theft In Heaven

| Working | April 8, 2013

(I’m calling the government on behalf of a widow whose deceased husband’s identity has been stolen.)

Me: “I need to put a hold on a Social Security number. There is a case of identity theft, and the man has been deceased for two years.”

Federal Employee: “I am sorry, but I have to speak to the taxpayer directly to hear it from them that their identity has been stolen and they did not file this return.”

Me: “But he is deceased.”

Federal Employee: “Is there anyway you can have him call us? It’s really the only way we can help you.”

Me: “Ummmm… I have a power of attorney from his wife, but no, I can’t have him call you. He’s deceased.”

Federal Employee: “That won’t help you. He has to call himself. His wife can’t answer for him. Get him to call us, and we can straighten it out.”

Me: “So you want me to get the taxpayer, who is deceased, to call you so we can get this fixed?”

Federal Employee: “Yes, you finally get it!”

Me: “Do you perchance have a ouija board available, because you are going to need it!  Can I talk to a supervisor?”

(I did get the problem fixed with the supervisor, but not before going through the entire unreasonable line of logic again. Ultimately, I had to say, “He’s dead. He was cremated and I don’t think I can assemble him again just so he can call.”)


This story is part of the Tax Day roundup!

Read the next Tax Day roundup story!

Read the Tax Day roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!