Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Hitting Redial Doesn’t Correct The Number!

, , , , | Right | November 9, 2018

(I work in a bookstore. I am currently training a new employee who has been working with us for about a week. I am letting him run the registers, and answering questions while I shadow him in case he has any trouble. We have just opened for the day and he is busy checking out a customer when the phone rings, so I answer it.)

Me: “Thank you for calling [Bookstore]. This is [My Name] speaking; how can I help you?”

Caller: “Hi, I am [Caller]. I am having surgery on Saturday and the surgeon needs a doctor to approve it. Can your office give them a call?”

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am, but I think you’ve called the wrong number. This is [Bookstore].”

Caller: “What?”

(I have to repeat myself a couple of times before she understands.)

Caller: “Is this [number that ends with a six]?”

Me: “No, this is [number that ends in a zero].”

Caller: *hangs up*

(I go back to what I was doing. A few minutes later, the phone rings again. It is the same woman, who goes through the same spiel. I again tell her that she has dialled the wrong number, and she hangs up immediately. My manager is nearby so I let him know what’s going on. Not long after, the phone rings again. My manager and I exchange a look and I answer the phone.)

Me: “Thank you for calling [Bookstore]. This is [My Name] speaking; how can I help you?”

Caller: “Hi, I am [Caller]. I am having surgery on Saturday, and the surgeon told me he needs a doctor to approve it, so can one of your doctors give them a call?”

Me: “Ma’am, I’m very sorry, but you’ve called the bookstore again.”

Caller: *angry and raising her voice* “Young lady, I dialled the correct number, and if you can’t—”

(I hand the phone to my manager. He is silent for a moment while she continues her tirade about how she MUST have called the right number, and then he reiterates that she has not and that there is nothing he can do for her. He tells her the number is what the number is and she is dialling it wrong. We all laugh about it and go back to work. The next time the phone rings I refuse to answer it, so the trainee gets it.)

Trainee: “Thanks for calling [Bookstore]. I’m [Trainee]; how can I help you?” *pause* “Ma’am, this is [Bookstore]…”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!