Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

His Listening Skills Need A Refill

, , , , , | Working | December 23, 2022

I have a couple of medications that are set up on auto-refill. One year at Christmas time, I realize that I’ll be out of town when the prescription is due to be picked up. While there isn’t usually an issue, since it is winter, I want to have it with me in case I get stuck for whatever reason. I call the pharmacy to see if they can fill it early.

Pharmacist: “Thank you for calling [Pharmacy]. How can I assist?”

Me: “Hi. I’m calling because I have [prescription #1] coming up for auto-refill around [date], but I’m heading out of town, and I’m wondering if it can be filled on [date about five days earlier], instead? Just so that I don’t potentially run out while I’m gone.”

The pharmacist goes through the identity verification process. 

Pharmacist: “So, it looks like you have [prescription #1], [prescription #2], and [prescription #3], correct?”

Me: “Yes. I just want to see if you can fill [prescription #1] a few days early. I have the other two already, but I’ll be out of town when that one comes due, and while I should be back before I run out, I’d rather get it early if possible.”

Pharmacist: “That’s twenty-three days after you got the last one. You shouldn’t be out yet.”

Me: “I’m not. I’m not calling because I’m out. I’m calling because I’m trying to be proactive and get it before I potentially run out. I’m heading out of town for Christmas and don’t want to get stuck somewhere and then run out.”

Pharmacist: “You shouldn’t be out yet. I can’t fill this.”

Me: “I’m not out. I’m just trying to get it filled a few days early so that I don’t potentially run out.”

Pharmacist: “That’s twenty-three days after you last filled it. You shouldn’t be out yet.”

Me: *Getting slightly frustrated* “I’m not out. I still have enough left currently, but the refill will come up while I’m out of town, and with the time of year, I’m trying to be prepared if I end up with delayed or cancelled flights and don’t get back here before I do run out.”

Pharmacist: “The prescription isn’t due to be refilled for a few days.”

Me: “I understand that. I was just wondering if it’s possible for you to fill it a few days early so that I can pick it up before I leave.”

Pharmacist: *Grudging sigh* “That’s too soon, but let me check if the insurance will let us run it.”

He’s quiet for a second and I kind of hear a keyboard. Then, he comes back.

Pharmacist: “It looks like we can have it filled by [date two days before it would usually be ready].”

Me: “That should work, as long as I can pick it up at any time?”

Pharmacist: “You’ll receive a notification when it’s ready.”

Me: “Thank you.”

It did end up being ready, and I just added a few minutes to my travel plans to stop by on my way out of town. While I could kind of understand pharmacies and insurance not wanting to pay for stuff too early — because of course, I, a thirty-year-old female with a history of needing the exact prescriptions I was calling about to make sure that my body functions correctly, was going to be selling the extra pills off — I still got a little annoyed that rather than listening, the pharmacist basically steamrolled over what I was saying.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!