Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Her Logic Isn’t Adding Up

| Right | April 20, 2014

Me: “All right, your total comes to $26.48. Will that be cash, check, or card?”

Customer: “Card, please.”

(We finish the transaction. When I hand the customer her receipt, she squints suspiciously at it.)

Me: “… Um, is something the matter?”

Customer: “That doesn’t sound right. It’s too high. You must have overcharged me.”

Me: “Well, let’s take a look at your receipt. This item was about $10, these two were $5, this was $3, and this was $1. And there was sales tax, too. It can add up quickly.”

Customer: “I don’t believe your math. You overcharged me! This is way too much for what I bought.”

(I pull out a calculator and add each item’s exact price together. I also calculate sales tax and add that to the total, which comes out to $26.48, the exact amount she paid.)

Customer: “No, you added wrong! I don’t believe your math!”

(I add everything again, slower.)

Customer: “I don’t believe your math!”

Me: “I don’t know what to tell you, ma’am. I’ve just proved to you that I charged you the correct price. If you’re not happy with your purchases, you can return them here.”

Customer: “No, I need these things. I’ll take them even though you overcharged me!”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!