Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Her Logic Has More Holes Than Swiss Cheese

, , , | Right | May 20, 2020

I work at the deli counter in a major retail chain. A customer comes up to the counter.

Customer: “Do you have any baby swiss cheese?”

Me: “Yes, we do; we have [brand].”

I reach into the case and get the cheese out to show her.

Customer: “Can I have a sample to try it?”

Me: “Of course, ma’am.”

I slice her a piece of the cheese and hand it to her. She tastes the cheese.

Customer: “Do you have any other baby swiss? This kind isn’t creamy enough.”

Me: “No, ma’am, I’m sorry, but this is the only baby swiss we have.”

Customer: “Yes, but do you have any other baby swiss? I said this kind isn’t creamy enough.”

Me: “No, ma’am, [Brand #1] baby swiss is the only kind that we carry here in the deli.”

Customer: “Well, what about somewhere else in the store?”

Me: “I know that we have some that is already sliced by [Brand #2] back in the dairy section.”

Customer: “No, it needs to be a chunk. I want a block of baby swiss.”

Me: “Well, ma’am, I’m not sure we may have some in our specialty cheeses in front of our salad case down here, or there may be some back in dairy.”

I go to check by the salads but don’t find any block baby swiss.

Customer: “No, there’s none there. I guess I’ll just take a pound of that, then.”

I can tell she is dissatisfied by the sample I gave her.

Me: “Ma’am, [Specialty Cheese Store] is just down the road. They would probably have what you’re looking for there, since you are unhappy with what we have.”

Customer: “No, I’m not going there! They charge $10 a pound; it’s outrageous!”

Our baby swiss is $6.99/lb, hardly a discount. 

Customer: “Just give me a hunk of that cheese.”

I slice her cheese and weigh it up for her. She walks away and I relate the conversation to my coworker.

Coworker: “Just wait. I bet we find that cheese left somewhere around the store.”

Me: “I know. I mean, I could tell she was unhappy with it. Why get something you don’t like?”

A few hours later, upon returning from my lunch break, I found the bag of cheese sitting with the items we have to mark out for being damaged or outdated. She really had left it somewhere in the store after all that trouble.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!