Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Her License Has A Red Alert

, , , , , | Right | January 4, 2020

(I work as a server in a chain restaurant. I get a table of two in my section. I go to greet them, pouring their waters as I do.)

Me: “Hello there! My name is [My Name] and I’ll be taking care of you today! Can I get either of you two something to drink? We have lemonade, iced tea, and Pepsi products.”

(I see that the woman is looking through our wine list, so I go to mention at least one beer and wine. Gotta upsell, after all.)

Me: “We do have a full bar — five draft beers along with a variety of wines. Are you interested in any of them?”

Woman: “Oh, yes! I’d like a glass of [red wine], please.”

Me: “Of course! Can I see your ID?”

(In Indiana, it is state law to ask for someone’s ID for alcoholic purchases so long as they look like they’re younger than 40.)

Woman: *seems presently surprised by my question* “Oh, of course!”

(I take her ID. First, I check her birthdate, which shows that she is older than 21. Next, I look at the license’s expiration date… which is four months expired.)

Me: “I’m so sorry, but I cannot sell you [wine], as this ID is expired.”

Woman: *annoyed* “Wait, are you serious?”

Me: “I’m afraid so. It would be illegal for me to sell you anything alcoholic with an expired ID, as it is not a valid form of identification.”

Woman: *is most definitely trying to guilt-trip me now* “But… I’ve been looking forward to having a glass of red all day…”

(I just sort of stand there, not sure how to respond to this. I’m not going to risk both my job and a hefty fine to order this woman a glass of wine.)

Me: “I’m… sorry, miss. Can I get you anything else?”

Woman: “No.”

(Before this, the couple was really friendly. After, they became really cold and distant with me, like it was my fault that this woman hadn’t updated her driver’s license. I continued giving them good service, though also space since they very obviously did not want me around. When they left, they ended up only tipping me about 5%. Standard is 15, quickly moving to 20%. I guess I’m lucky they gave me anything at all.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!