Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Her Lack Of Register Etiquette Is Not Registering To Her

, , , , , | Right | March 16, 2020

(Due to a chance of white weather possible later today, we get slammed in the morning, and I am called up to help run a register. I am not a regular cashier, so I am not very fast at all, but I know how to do most stuff on the register. This woman comes through my line and I can immediately tell she’s going to be a problem. First, she doesn’t even wait for my current customer to move before she shoves herself into that spot.)

Me: *starts scanning stuff* “Hello, how are you?”

Customer: “I need you to start scanning this, but do the vegetables first.” *shoves various produce items at me* “I need to know how much that will be. I have a $10 credit through WIC. And hurry up about it; I’m in a rush.”

Me: “Okay. I’m sorry if I’m slow; I’m not a regular cashier.”

Customer: “Whatever, just hurry up. I need to get home to my baby.”

(Her produce comes to about $20. She has me take stuff off, put stuff back on, and take more stuff off. Then, I’m allowed to scan the rest of her items. She scans her WIC card, and instead of a normal receipt, a summary of her WIC eligible items is printed. I call for assistance, but as everyone is busy with other customers, we have to wait.)

Customer: “What is going on?”

Me: “I don’t understand why this was printed and not a receipt. I don’t know what to do. Someone from customer service will be here momentarily.”

Customer: “Call someone.”

Me: “I did.”

Customer: “Call again. I’m in a hurry.”

Me: “Ma’am, there are only two people here right now who could help. One is over there, and the other is behind the desk. Both are with customers, but as soon as one of them is free, they will come over.”

Customer: “Call again.”

(I ended up paging customer service three or four times to appease her. The customer service clerk came over as soon as he was free. I explained the problem, but he didn’t know what to do, either, so we had to wait for the manager to finish what she was doing. The manager came over, and she got the customer to try her WIC card again. The same summary sheet was printed out again. The manager transferred the order to the desk so she could deal with it there. I don’t know what the manager said to her, but the customer ended up not buying anything at all.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!