Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Her Knowledge Of Expiry Dates Has Expired

, , , | Right | August 27, 2019

(It is about 45 minutes before we close for the evening so I am ringing up some of the last-minute customers that always come in. I’m dealing with a mother-daughter duo in need of some school supplies. Everything’s fine until the mother hands me an expired coupon.)

Me: “This coupon expired about a week ago.”

Customer: *blinks at me* “Well, aren’t you going to use it?” 

Me: “Well, no. It expired; it won’t even come up in the system.”

(Keep in mind that the most expensive thing she is buying is a calculator that is on sale. Everything else is in the $1 or $2 range. She glares at me as I lean over to toss the no-good coupon.)

Customer: “I can’t believe the customer service here!”

(She snaps at me and throws everything else she wants onto the counter and then tosses another coupon at me. This one is good, so I scan it and stick it in the drawer.)

Customer: *demanding* “Do you take competitor coupons?” *shows me a $5-off coupon*

(I made it so, but I had to do it manually off the calculator which required a manager’s authorization. When I asked for a manager, the customer looked at her daughter, mouth open and eyes rolling back into her head. I wished she was having a seizure. As I finished checking her out, she grumbled and snarled about the “awful customer service” she had here, even though she “buys so much from this place!”)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!