Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Helpless Against His Helpfulness, Part 2

| Working | December 30, 2015

(I am checking out in the self-checkout with my three teenage boys. One of them is scanning items while I put my discount code on the PIN pad. The screen freezes. I call the attendant.)

Me: “Excuse me, sir, the screen is frozen.”

(The attendant doesn’t reply or even look up from his screen. I assume he hasn’t heard me.)

Me: “Sir?”

(The attendant sighs heavily and makes his way over to my terminal.)

Attendant: “His hand is on the scale. That’s why it’s frozen.”

(My teen yanks his hand back like he’s touched a stove.)

Attendant: “See? Here is where it gave you the discount.”

Me: “It rang up three bags of bagels. I only purchased two.”

Attendant: *interrupting* “See? It rang up $2.99 and then it took off 50 cents. That little dash means subtraction.”

Me: “I see three lines marked $2.99.” *points to screen* “$2.99, $2.99, $2.99.”

Attendant: “Fine. I will void the items.” *voids two items, scans two items* “There. Now you got your discount.”

Me: “It rang up three bagels. I bought two bagels.”

Attendant: “It deleted the $2.99, but it had to add back in the 50 cents because it subtracted it up here.”

Me: “Okay. Thanks for your help.”

(I realized that I would pay $3 just to stop having to deal with his “help.”)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!