Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Help Them Earn, Don’t Make Them Burn

, , , , , | Working | November 15, 2022

I’m the author of this story. In that story, I was suspended without pay for three weeks while Human Resources investigated a customer complaint directed at me for accidentally using a word considered discriminatory.

I uploaded my story to Not Always Right, and a lot of the comments told me I shouldn’t have put up with having no pay for a customer complaint.

As I am young and this is my first job, I wasn’t sure what was normal or not, but I built up some confidence and I arranged a quick talk with my manager.

Me: “Hey, [Manager], I wanted to talk to you about my suspension.”

Manager: “Yeah, that was terrible. I’m sorry they did that.”

Me: “I’ve been talking to some people, and I’ve come to the conclusion that I don’t think I should have been suspended without pay. I should have been paid while the investigation took place and only disciplined if it was proven I had done something wrong.”

Manager: “Yeah, I agree.”

Me: “You do?”

Manager: “Well, yeah! It was totally unfair.”

Me: “Then why did you let them do that to me? The investigation concluded I wasn’t at fault!”

Manager: “Listen, kid, you’re young. This is America, and these big companies, they don’t give a s*** about people like us. I’m going to level with you. ‘the district manager has been trying to make us do more with a 10% budget cut this quarter, and your suspension was part of that budget cut.”

Me: “I almost failed to make rent because of a budget cut?!”

Manager: “No, it was because of some stupid customer who didn’t have anything better to do than just target some minimum-wage teen!”

Me: “Am I going to get the three weeks of pay back-paid?”

Manager: “Of course not. You’re hourly, not salaried.”

Me: “Fine.”

I finished out my shift thinking about what I wanted to do, and I eventually decided to quit. If the company wants to save money so badly that they will throw a worker under the bus, then they can make savings by not paying me.

I started a new job yesterday at a small family-owned bakery. The hours start super early, but I am in the back away from customers and there IS NO CORPORATE! Should keep me out of trouble while I save for college!

Related:
Help Them Learn, Don’t Make Them Burn

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!