Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Head And Shoulders, Ouchie Toes

, , , , | Healthy | October 15, 2022

When I worked in an ambulance, we had a patient call in for a stubbed toe. Now, as painful as that is, I think most of us agree that it’s not worth tying up emergency resources.

When we arrived on the scene, the fire department was already speaking to the patient. 

Patient: “I stubbed my toe moving furniture. It really hurts! I want to go to the ER in the ambulance.”

Fireman: “Sir, the ambulance crew is happy to take you, but that’s gonna be a pretty big charge, and all they can really do for a stubbed toe is a bandaid and an ice pack.”

Patient: “It’s okay. I have Medicaid; they’ll pay.”

Fireman: “Not unless it’s a true emergency like a heart attack or stroke.” 

Patient: “Oh, I guess I’ll call a cab.”

I will add that we were genuinely happy to take him but would have hated to see him get the ambulance bill and end up in debt over a stubbed toe, and we wanted him to be informed so he wasn’t blindsided by it later.

I did ask the ER if the guy ended up coming in, and they did say they had a patient with a stubbed toe. I’m pretty sure they sent him home with an ice pack and instructions to wear shoes while moving furniture in the future.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!