Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

He Will Utter It Here

| Right | July 17, 2013

(I am female, and work in a video game and movie resale store. I’ve been a fan of fantasy and sci-fi my whole life. I’m busy at the computer making a sign for a display, when a customer comes into the store.)

Me: “Hello! Let me know if I can help you find anything, or if you have any questions.”

(The customer just looks at the floor. He goes over to look at movies, when suddenly he holds up a box and a ring on a necklace.)

Customer: “They match.”

(I looked up. He’s holding ‘The One Ring’ on a gold chain, and holding the box art to ‘Lord of the Rings’.)

Customer: “The writing, it matches. I just wanted to make sure it matched.”

(We frequently get cosplayers in the store, and I enjoy talking about whatever fandom people are into. I was about to ask where he got his replica, when he starts turning the ring around in his fingers.)

Customer: “The language is that of Mordor, which I will not utter here. In the common tongue it reads “One Ring to Rule Them All. One Ring to Find Them. One Ring to Bring Them All and In The Darkness Bind Them”.”

(I raise an eyebrow and keep smiling. He begins to walk towards the counter, caressing the ring and begins Galadriel’s soliloquy from the opening of The Fellowship of the Ring.)

Customer: “The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it. It began with the forging of the Great Rings…”

(My co-worker comes out from the back-room mid-soliloquy, and sees the look of somewhat bemused consternation on my face.)

Coworker: “Um [name], have you seen the new plush we just got in?”

Me: “No! I haven’t! They’re adorable!”

Coworker: “I KNOW RIGHT!?”

(The customer looks disappointed, but patiently waits out our exchange. As soon as my coworker goes back to the back stock, HE STARTS OVER FROM THE BEGINNING.)

Customer: “It began with the forging of the Great Rings. Three were given to the Elves, immortal, wisest and fairest of all beings. Seven to the Dwarf lords…”

Coworker: “Um, [name], when you get a chance can you come back here; I have a question about this item.”

Me: “Sure. I’ll be there in just a minute.”

(I glance at the customer, and back at my coworker.)

Customer: “It’s all right. It’s just… The writing, it matches. I just wanted to make sure it matched.”

(At that, he puts the DVD back and quietly leaves the store. I’m still not entirely sure what happened. He hasn’t ever come back, but if he does, hopefully he knows ‘gi nathlam h”‘—Sindarin (or Elvish) for ‘you are welcome here’.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!