Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

He Should’ve Taken That Number With Him

, , , , , , | Working | August 24, 2021

I am a network engineer on a navy base. I was hired to take the place of another engineer who moved to a new building on base. I sit at his desk and use his computers, I have his desk phone, and I ate his leftover cough drops. I also have his old phone number, which has occasionally caused some confusion with people who haven’t checked the directory for updates.

The phone rings.

Me: “PAC Fleet Support, this is [My Name].”

Man: “Hi, I’m looking for [Predecessor]?”

Me: “He moved to a position in the NOC; I now have his former position. Is there something I can help you with?”

Man: “No, I was told specifically to talk to him. Do you have his number?”

Me: “He doesn’t have his own desk phone anymore. His team at the NOC shares one phone. I can give you their number and you can ask for him if he is not the one who answers.”

Man: “Oh… Wait, what about [phone number]? That’s what I was told was his number.”

Me: “That… that is now my number. It’s the one you just called, which is why you are now speaking with me.”

Man: *Pauses* “Oh, yeah… What’s the number for the NOC?”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!