Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

He Has A Different Account To What Happened

, , , , | Right | March 12, 2023

I work at a well-known bank as a teller. A customer comes up to my till.

Me: “How can I help you today?”

Customer: “I need to pay my credit card.”

He inserts his card, and he has an account with more than enough to cover the fees. Naturally, I assume he wants to pay with this account because most people will tell me if they want to pay with cash. I pay his credit card with his account and ask him if there is anything else.

Customer: *Slowly pulling out cash from his pockets* “What?! You paid it already? Did you pay with my account? Did I tell you to pay with my account? Who told you to touch my account?! It wasn’t me! Don’t you see I’ve got cash?”

I sincerely apologize to the customer and try to make it right. I am able to correct the account as it is quite easy to do so. However, he is still angry with me and refuses to let go of my mistake. 

Customer: “How dare you touch my account?! I never told you to. Honestly, I don’t think you’re cut out to be a teller. You should not work at this job if it’s too difficult for you.”

I get very flustered, so I keep my mouth shut. I’ve already tried to apologize, but he dismissed my apology. Every time I try to speak, he cuts me off and tells me I’m not good enough to be a teller.

The customer then goes on his phone to check his account, and he notices that I paid from his account but refuses to recognize that I have corrected the mistake. He then begins to call me a liar because I did not correct the mistake like I told him I did, even though I did.

The customer then asks to see my manager, and I go over to talk to him. My manager sees that I’m clearly stressed and asks me what happened.

Manager: “Did you fix the mistake?”

Me: “Yes, I did. Immediately after he told me he wanted to pay with cash, I corrected the situation.”

Manager: “Then why is he treating you so poorly?”

My manager goes up to the customer and asks him how he can help.

Customer: “Yeah, I just want to know what your hiring process is, because your teller just lied to me and said she corrected something but didn’t. She paid my credit card with my account when I wanted to pay cash.”

My manager goes to check my work. He notices that I did make a mistake but then corrected it, and the system shows that.

Manager: “Yes, well, when you told her you wanted to pay off your credit card, she paid with your account because that is normally where customers pay from. You have more than enough to cover it, anyway. If you want to pay in cash, you have to specify. Also, she corrected it, so she is not a liar.”

The customer left with his head down and tail between his legs.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!