Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Have A Heart (Attack)!

, , , , , | Healthy | December 22, 2018

CONTENT WARNING: This story contains content of a medical nature. It is not intended as medical advice.

(I work in a clinic that has regular patients who have treatment three times a week, sitting side by side each treatment. We are very short-handed today and I have the section where [Patient #1], who is very demanding, is located. She wants to get off treatment early, at 1:00. However, right before [Patient #1]’s turn, [Patient #2] begins to have a heart attack. As the rest of staff is on break, three other nurses and I immediately begin to perform CPR and attend him.)

Patient #1: “[My Name], are you still going to take me off treatment at one?”

Me: *obviously doing compressions* “Right now is not a good time; I’ll get to you when I can.”

Patient #1: “Well, could you get someone else to get me off treatment, then? Is it so important you need four people there? Where is everyone else?”

(The other nurses and I continue to perform CPR. As one nurse is talking to the 911 operator, [Patient #1] starts bothering the nurse.)

Patient #1: “[Nurse], can you take me off treatment? Hello? Are you listening to me?”

(She repeats herself, getting louder and louder each time, but we continue to tell her we’ll get to her when we can. Finally, paramedics arrive for [Patient #2]. After paramedics take [Patient #2], we are finally able to return to our other patients. All the other staff who were on break are returning now. I am finally able to get to [Patient #1].)

Patient #1: *two-faced* “Well, you sure know how to make me late! Is [Patient #2] okay? I was so worried about him! Did you know his kids were going to visit him this weekend?”

(She continued to tell me all his kids’ business as if nothing had happened. I quietly just took her off treatment because I was so disgusted someone could be so concerned with herself despite the fact that he could’ve died. Thankfully, he is doing well since we acted quickly.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!