Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Cardi-gonna Get You In Trouble

| Working | March 22, 2015

(I’m browsing, with my mum and little sister, in a local charity shop that supports a well-known research company. It’s the height of summer, and said sister is wearing a cardigan because she is self-conscious whilst outside in public.)

Mum: *to sister* “Hey, [Sister], there are some nice dresses over here that you might like.”

(I’m over the other side of the shop browsing their book collection. There is currently one member of staff in the shop, manning the till, but currently doing nothing.)

Sister: *moans* “Mum, it’s hot in here.”

Mum: “Okay, hun. Put it in my bag for the meanwhile.”

(Then, the middle-aged staff member appears right behind them both.)

Employee: *narrows eyes* “Excuse me, ma’am, but we do not tolerate your kind in here.”

Mum: *baffled* “…I’m sorry?”

Employee: “Don’t pretend you don’t know!”

Mum: *exasperated* “No, I don’t know! What are you talking about?!”

(The employee looks at my sister, bends down slightly and tuts at her.)

Employee: “It’s a shame your generation are this way.” *to herself* She should know better.”

(By now I can see my mum is kind of losing it and my sister is tearful. I intervene.)

Me: “Pardon me, ma’am, but don’t you think it’s unfair to make an accusation of someone without actually telling them what is it they’re being accused of?”

Employee: *sighs dramatically* “Oh, all right then.” *points menacingly at sister* “I saw her put one of our cardigans in that bag! Stealing!”

Mum: “That was hers! She came in wearing it!”

Employee: *scoffs* “Yeah, pull the other one.”

(I pull the cardigan from Mum’s bag and show the label to the rude employee.)

Me: “Ma’am, I’ve worked in charity shops before, and they tag clothes just like any other store you’ll find. There is no tag on this cardigan!”

Employee: “She could have taken it off!”

Me: “But this cardigan is [well-known Brand name] and you don’t even sell that kind of label here!”

Employee: “Hmph. Well, rest assured, I’ll be speaking to my manager about this.”

(As we swiftly removed ourselves from the shop, the woman was wagging her finger at us from the large window display. Later, we called the manager before the employee did, and got a profuse apology. The employee was also fired for her appalling treatment of customers.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!