Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Has No Interest In Being Nice

, , , , , | Right | October 13, 2020

I work at a credit card call center for one of Canada’s top five big banks. We deal with a lot of irate customers who do not like to pay fees, but we have the discretion to reverse certain charges. Key word: discretion. The following story unfolds.

Me: “Thank you for calling [Bank]. May I have your first and last name, please?”

The customer gives me the information I need.

Customer: “I was charged about $1.03 interest and I am not going to pay.”

That’s the last thing you want to say to someone who has the discretion to reverse your interest. After I realize that the interest is a result of late payment, I say to myself, “I’ll make sure you pay,” and chuckle to myself.

Me: “I am sorry, ma’am, but this is a legitimate charge.”

Customer: “I have never been charged interest in my entire life and I am not going to pay this.”

Me: “I am sorry, but this is a legitimate charge and I will not reverse it.”

She starts literally screaming and I place the phone on mute while I laugh

Customer: “My husband knows the president; I will not be paying for this!”

Me: “It is the bank’s policy, and you can find it in your service agreement that the interest will be charged for such reasons.”

Customer: “I need to speak to a supervisor now!”

Me: “Not a problem. Keep holding the line while I connect you with one. Thank you for choosing [Bank].”

I explained the situation to my supervisor who asked why I did not reverse the charge. I gave her the same answer with a straight face: it was a legitimate charge and certain reversals are at my discretion. She could not argue with that. Someone can reverse the interest, but it was not going to be me. Moral of the story: be nice if you want something done!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!