Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Has A Latte Demands

| Right | October 28, 2016

(I manage a small cafe & coffee shop in a VERY small town that happens to be close to the interstate and several universities. As such, we get a fair amount of tourist traffic, especially from the motel across the street. One early morning, when only I and a fairly new coworker are in the cafe, we notice two women, mother and adult daughter, walking over from the motel.)

Coworker: “Good morning! How can we help you today?”

Older Woman: *looks around at our tables and coffee station while her daughter stays blocking the door* “Do you have food here?”

Coworker: “Yes, we do! Our menus are right here, and we have some specials on the board over here…”

Older Woman: *interrupting* “Do you have a chai latte?”

Coworker: “Um, I don’t think so…” *looks at me for help*

Me: “Good morning! I’m afraid we don’t have lattes, as we don’t have an espresso machine or a steamer for milk. We’ve got locally roasted coffee and loose leaf teas, though.”

Older Woman: “But you don’t have a chai latte.”

Me: “No, I’m sorry.”

Older Woman: “Could you make one anyway?”

Me: “I’m afraid not. We don’t have the right kind of tea. Our teas are all from China and are unflavored.”

Older Woman: “Well, the only reason I walked all the way here from the motel was to get a chai latte.”

Me: “I’m sorry, but we don’t have any chai type tea.”

Older Woman: *makes a sour face* “Well, did you ever think about GETTING chai?” *stares at me with expectant glare*

Me: *blinks a few times*

Daughter: “Mom, let’s just go. There’s probably a [Worldwide Coffee Chain] somewhere near here.”

(They leave.)

Coworker: “Did she expect us to go out and buy some, just for her?”

Me: “Yes. Yes, she did.”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!