Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Harry Potter And The Half-A**ed Hints

, , , | Working | May 18, 2012

(I’m a new librarian, and have only been working for about two months.)

Patron: “Hi. I’m looking for the new Harry Potter book.”

Me: “Oh, okay. That would actually be in the fiction section, which is downstairs. This is the reference department.”

Patron: “But the lady said you had it up here.”

Me: “What lady?”

Patron: “The one at the desk downstairs.”

Me: “Okay… well, let me take you downstairs and I’ll show you where it is.”

Patron: “Thanks!”

(Strangely, this sort of thing kept happening repeatedly. I would get patrons looking for all sorts of random things that I had nothing to do with. Every time, they would say they were sent to me by “the lady downstairs”. I finally decided to check on this with my coworkers.)

Me: “Hey guys, does anyone know why I keep getting people who are looking for fiction or movies upstairs? They’re not even on the same floor.”

Coworker: “Oh, I’ve been sending them to you.”

Me: “But why? I keep having to bring them down here to find things.”

Coworker: “Well, I never know what they’re looking for.”

Me: “That last one was Harry Potter. That’s definitely fiction.”

Coworker: “Well, how was I supposed to know that?!”

Me: “Because you work in a library…”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!