Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Hard-To-Please-Her Scrooge

| Right | December 20, 2012

(It’s nearing Christmas time, and I am working at the till to cover a coworker’s break. I start to ring through a man’s groceries. Behind him is an old lady, whom I recognize as being a regular. She is always grumpy.)

Man: *quietly* “And I’d like to pay for her stuff, too.”

(I laugh.)

Man: “No, really.”

Me: “Oh! Okay.”

(This has never happened to me before. I look over at the lady’s packages and enter them manually, rather than scanning them, and tell the man his new total.)

Man: “Don’t tell her until after I’m gone.”

Me: “Okay.”

(I finish the transaction, hand him his receipt, and tell him to have a good day. Just as he is about to leave, he drops his wallet. All his cards spill out everywhere, and he has to stop and pick them all up. I put the old lady’s packages in bags and hand them to her.)

Me: “Here you go!”

Old Lady: “What do I owe you?”

Me: “It’s taken care of.”

Old Lady: “What?”

Me: “It’s paid for.”

Old Lady: *scowling* “Who did that?”

(The man is still trying to cram cards back into his wallet without dropping his groceries.)

Me: “Um… him.”

(The old lady starts scowling at him.)

Old Lady: “Why did you do that?”

Man: “Well, it’s Christmas. Merry Christmas.”

(He finally manages to tuck his wallet away and leaves.)

Old Lady: “I know I’ve seen that jerk around somewhere!”


This story is part of the Christmas Eve roundup!

Read the next Christmas Eve roundup story!

Read the Christmas Eve roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!