Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Handle With Hand Care

| Working | August 6, 2015

(I have a rather nasty allergy to the hand sanitizer Purell. Essentially, it causes me to break out in hives if I touch it or anyone who has used it touches me after using it. This day I’m in the lab getting blood drawn.)

Nurse: “Okay, so we just have to draw blood for [tests] today right?”

Me: “Yes.” *I’m watching as she puts Purell on her hands and moves to touch me*

Me: “Excuse me, please put gloves on. I’m allergic to Purell and cannot be touched with it.”

Nurse: “It’s just alcohol; you possibly can’t be allergic to alcohol!”

Me: “It’s in my chart and if you had read it, you would know that.”

Nurse: “No one can be allergic to it. It’s just alcohol.”

Me: “Look, I don’t know all of what’s in it, but there is something I am allergic to and I can and DO break out in hives if you don’t put on gloves. Now, do I need to report you to management because you refuse to listen to a patient and ignore a chart?”

Nurse: *mumbling as she puts gloves on* “No one is allergic to that.”

Me: “You know what? We’re done here. You obviously are not listening to the patient. I will go to another lab where they actually listen. Forget it.”

(I picked up my stuff and left. Worst part? Even though it is ALL over my chart and they can see it, I STILL have to remind every single person I talk to at these clinics to NOT touch me after using it or tell them to wash their hands properly.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!