Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Double Standard Makes Them Doubly Ugly

| Working | March 28, 2017

(My coworkers and I are all female and they’re reading a clothing magazine that has recently been pushing for models of different sizes. I overhear the following conversation:)

Coworker #1: “Wow, look at her! She looks great for her age.”

Coworker #2: “Yes and look here, she’s a bit larger but she looks stunning.”

Coworker #1: “It’s so good to see real women finally represented; guys should really learn to appreciate them for who they are.”

Coworker #2: “Yeah, it shouldn’t matter what you look like. It’s how you feel and what’s inside. They should ban all unrealistic body sizes outright!”

(I think nothing of it until I overhear another conversation later on in the day. My coworkers have reached the men’s section of the magazine.)

Coworker #1: “Wow! I like very much!”

Coworker #2: “Yes, look at him. My type: thin, abs, tanned, great hair. Mmm!”

(They turn over several pages of similar looking men that fit this description.)

Me: “Hey, do you think they should increase diversity among male models? You know, more realistic body sizes and different figures.”

(They both look at me like I’m mad.)

Coworker #1: “What? No! Eww, I don’t want to look at fat, ugly guys at all. Why would you suggest that?”

Coworker #2: “Are your standards like, really low? Why would you want that in your magazines?”

Me: “But, you said about the women…”

Coworker #2: *rolls eyes* “Ugh, you clearly don’t understand…”

(I clearly don’t… sometimes I wonder about all these double standards.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!