Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Hairdressers Who Listen Are So Hot

, , , | Working | August 30, 2021

This took place during the heatwave during the summer of 2018. I tend to run hot naturally. I was working in a public space with no AC, and I was tired of having my shoulder-length hair dripping with sweat at the end of every shift.

When I was younger, I used to be in a number of alternative subcultures. I have had every single weird hairstyle my very thin and fine hair will support and I’ve had every unnatural hair colour that can be bought. All the hair experimentation ended up damaging my hair a fair amount, so by the time I hit my thirties, I just stopped messing around with it and let it grow out in my natural mousy brown, cut straight with bangs. It’s not too exciting, but it’s comfortable and practical.

The summer of 2018, however, was straight-up torment, and I figured that it might help a little if I got an undercut — long on top of the head and buzzed really short on the sides and back.

I went to my usual hairdresser, sat down, and explained to her how I wanted it done. She gave me a strange look.

Hairdresser: “Are you sure?”

Me: “Absolutely. It’s just too warm for long hair right now, but I’d like to keep a little of it, you know?”

Hairdresser: “I’m not sure I’m comfortable giving you this kind of haircut.”

I get it. My wild youth is over, I work as a librarian, and I dress more conservatively than I used to, so I probably don’t look like an undercut kind of person, so I tried to reassure her.

Me: “Don’t worry. I used to be a punk rocker. I’ve actually had this hairstyle before, only then, I had it dyed in red and black tiger stripes and I used ungodly amounts of hairspray to keep it up.”

The hairdresser gave me an even stranger look.

Hairdresser: “No, I don’t think so. This won’t suit you at all. I’m just going to give you the usual trim, okay?”

Me: “Actually, I’d really like the undercut. I don’t care if other people think I’m pretty or not; I just want to feel comfortable in this heat.”

Hairdresser: “But it’s going to look horrible on you! What if you don’t like it?”

Me: “Oh, it’s just hair. It’ll grow out.”

Hairdresser: “No. I don’t think you should have that hairstyle. It’ll make your face look fat. I’m going to give you a trim.”

And that is how I ended up changing hairdressers!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!