Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

H2-Slow Getting Back From Your Break

, , | Working | December 4, 2017

(Today, I’m working two shifts: one as cashier and one as hostess, for a total of ten hours that day. Typically, we don’t get breaks, because it is not in our state law or company policy. Today, though, my two shifts are scheduled with a half hour free between them so I can have a break. It’s about fifteen minutes until my first shift is up, when my coworker approaches me. She has a five-hour shift that day and has been there for two hours.)

Coworker: “Hey, I talked to [Manager], and she says you need to stay a little after 11:30 so I can eat.”

Me: “Okay, but I have to move over to hosting at 12:00.”

Coworker: “Okay, I’ll be done by noon.”

(I can go 10 hours without eating, but not without drinking anything. We are not allowed to have water with us while we work.)

Me: “But I was planning on taking a break then. From 11:30 to 12:00, I’m not scheduled to work.”

Coworker: “Well, I’m here five hours today and I need to eat.”

(My coworker walks away and then comes back with our manager. I tell her the issue, and ask if it would be possible to have my coworker go on break when the other cashier gets here next hour.)

Manager: “No, she wants to eat now. She’ll be fast!”

(So, my coworker goes on break at 11:20 and then comes back at 11:45.)

Coworker: *annoyed* “Okay, you can go do whatever is so important that you need to do now.”

Me: “Thanks. I’m working ten hours today, and would prefer to be able to seat guests without being dehydrated. It generally makes my work day easier.”

(I didn’t get my 30-minute break, but I guess 15 was better than nothing.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!