Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Guys And Dolls

| Working | May 14, 2015

(I’m with my six-year-old son in a toy store. He’s doing very well in kindergarten so I thought I’d buy him a new toy as a reward. We go down the aisle to the toys for kids his age.)

Me: “Now, [Son], what kind of toy would you like?”

(My son grins and hurries down to a well known brand doll with long blonde hair and a blue summer dress.)

Son: “Can I have this one, Mummy?”

(He’s never asked for a doll before, but he’s borrowed his friend’s dolls in play dates so I am not surprised. It was a little pricier than some of the others but I could afford it, so I nod and smile and we head to the counter. At the counter my son hands the doll to the cashier.)

Son: “Just this today, please.”

(The cashier smiles at my son and begins to scan the doll.)

Cashier: “Who’s this doll for? A lady friend?” *he winks jokingly*

Son: *laughs* “No, it’s for me. I like brushing the lady’s hair.”

(The cashier freezes halfway through scanning the doll.)

Cashier: “Excuse me for a minute.”

(He leaves, taking the doll with him. My son and I are both confused but we wait. A few minutes later a man comes out of the back room with the cashier.)

Manager: “I’m the manager of this store, ma’am. What seems to be the problem?”

Me: *blinking in surprise* “Problem? I don’t have a problem.”

Cashier: “She wanted to buy this for her son.” *he holds up the doll*

Manager: *frowns* “Yes?”

Cashier: “Boys don’t play with dolls!”

(My son now looks worried that he might not get the doll and looks really sad.)

Son: “I do. I like brushing their hair and changing their clothes.”

Cashier: *looks affronted* “But—”

Manager: “Why don’t you take inventory and I’ll finish up here?”

Cashier: “But—”

Manager: “Now!”

(The cashier hurries off to the back room.)

Manager: “Sorry about that. I have no idea what got into my cashier. I’ll have a talk with him.”

(We’ve been back to the store several times since then, but I never saw that cashier again.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!