Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Guilty Until Proven Innocent, Part 2

Learning | February 6, 2015

(I have missed almost three months of school due to a recurring illness. My senior paper for AP English is due at the end of the year. Even though I missed a lot of school, I spent the entire weekend pouring over books and finally writing out my 15-page paper only hours before it is due. After my teacher hands them back I see I have a 92% that has been scratched out and a 0 instead.)

Me: *walking up to the teacher* “Excuse me, but is there a reason I got a 92% but suddenly got a 0 on this paper?

Teacher: *takes my paper and flips through it lightly before handing it back* “You plagiarized. You have an in-paper citation that does not match your citation page.”

Me: *completely dumbstruck* “I didn’t plagiarize anything! Can you please show me which citation is incorrect?”

Teacher: *snatches back the paper, flips a few pages, and points to the citation* “THIS one is not on your citation page. I am considering taking this up with the honors society and having you stripped of your honors classes and your graduation.”

Me: *looking it over while she speaks, slightly panicked, I point to the citation page* “It’s right here. I did make a mistake, though. I put their first name instead of their last name. See? There is their name; it was just an error of putting a first name instead of a last name on the citation.”

Teacher: *looks it over and gets a sour look on her face* “All right… If you can fix it and turn it in within the next few hours I will change the grade and reconsider taking you to the honor board for plagiarism…”

(I immediately run off to the library and fix the error. I turn it back in about five minutes later.)

Me: “Here you are.”

Teacher: *snatches it again and looks it over, putting an 89% on it, denying me my A grade* “You should have done it right the first time!” *throwing the paper back at me*

(I ended up just barely passing the class and graduating despite missing almost half a year of school due to sickness throughout several semesters. I later found out she had wanted to fail me because my attendance was so bad. She felt I was unworthy to be in AP classes. She also got in hot water for giving preferential treatment to students who never would have qualified for honors!)

 

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!