Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Guarding The Lifeguard

| Right | December 7, 2012

(I’m a lifeguard at an apartment complex. It’s the end of summer, and some new tenants are at the pool for the first time, the first of whom is pretty muscular. I notice that they’re smoking, which is against the rules.)

Me: “I’m sorry, but we don’t allow smoking in the pool area. Could you please put those out?”

New Tenant #1: “Really? Come on.”

New Tenant #2: “You can’t do anything anymore.”

Me: “I’m sorry, but it does bother some people.”

New Tenant #1: “Whatever.”

(They put out their cigarettes and I go back to my chair. A few minutes later, Tenant #1 gets up and dives into the pool. It’s 4.5 feet deep, and there are signs everywhere forbidding diving.)

Me: “Sir, there is absolutely no diving at this pool!”

New Tenant #1: “Man, I’m about ready to throw you over the f***ing fence!”

Me: “I’m sorry, sir, but diving isn’t allowed. There are signs all over the place.”

New Tenant #1: *flexes menacingly* “Who the f*** do you think you are?”

Me: “I’m the lifeguard, sir, and it’s my job to enforce the rules. Please don’t do that again, or you’ll have to leave.”

(Overhearing the commotion, an old tenant speaks up.)

Old Tenant: “Are you okay?”

Me: “I’m fine, no problem.”

(The new tenants go back to their party, and they leave in a minute, still grumbling angrily.)

Old Tenant: “That jerk! I can’t believe he threatened you like that! You need to tell the manager. I’ll back you up.”

Me: “Don’t worry, I will. Thank you so much.”

(The next day, the old tenant told the story to everyone who missed it. A dozen people came up to me and said they had my back if he returned, thanked me for being such a good guard, and apologized for him. On the last day, I got four thank you cards and $80 in tips!)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!