Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Grumpy Old Bag

, , , , | Right | July 11, 2019

(I usually work at the service desk at a grocery store that usually has baggers, but due to so many call-ins, we have none. I just finish bagging a customer’s groceries when I decide to hop on a register to help get the lines down. The first customer insists on bagging their own groceries. I reach the end of their order and the first customer is still bagging while his wife waits patiently for him to finish. I decide to help them out.)

Customer: “Do you understand English? I told you I want to bag my own groceries!”

(I stand there in silence for a few moments while the transaction finishes up and I hand them their receipt. I put on a polite smile as the wife is glaring at her husband, and I start to explain their savings and other deals.)

Me: “Your savings are [amount] and here are your coupons. Thank you for shopping at [Grocery Store] and I hope you have a good evening. And I apologize for the inconvenience of bagging your own groceries and me offering to help, sir. It’s part of my job to offer good customer service and to get people out as quickly and efficiently as possible. If you’d like to complain to my supervisor, he is at the service desk right over there.”

(I pointed to the service desk, but he quickly turned away and rushed out the door with his wife trailing behind.)

 

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!