Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Acting Like Soured Milk

| Working | March 20, 2017

(I am 12 years old and on vacation to visit my grandparents in Texas. We are staying at their house and they live right next to a grocery store. My mother has me go there to pick up some eggs, milk, and some birdseed. When I get there it is fairly empty except for an elderly man and an employee. I go over to the dairy aisle to get the milk and I notice out of the corner of my eye the employee following me. I assume he is just walking past, but he stops right by me and I pretend not to notice. When I reach to grab the milk he rushes forward.)

Employee: “Here, let me help you with that.”

(He grabs a very small carton of milk rather than the large one I was reaching for.)

Me: “Oh, thank you, sir, but I need the larger one.”

(I pick up the larger milk jug and he makes an audible gasp. I nod at him and walk over to the produce. He follows. I grab a carton of eggs.)

Employee: “Do you need all of those?”

(I had grabbed a pack of a dozen.)

Me: “Um, yes.”

Employee: “I don’t think you can afford that.”

Me: “I have the money here.” *gestures at my pocket*

Employee: “But you don’t need all those eggs.”

Me: “I do. I’m shopping for my grandparents.”

(I move away towards the pet aisle for the bird seed. I grab a rather small bag. The employee is still following me. I walk to the check out thing and the employee doesn’t move to check me out.)

Me: “Pardon me, sir, would you mind checking me out? Sorry to bother you.”

Employee: “No.”

Me: “Sorry?”

Employee: “You have been continually rude to me and I have a right as a working citizen of America to turn down who I serve.”

Me: “…”

(He does not check me out and I end up leaving without my groceries. As I’m walking up to my grandparents someone calls from behind me. I turn to see the elderly man from the store.)

Elderly Man: “Hey! Hey kid!”

(He’s carrying a shopping bag.)

Me: “Hello?”

(The man silently hands me the bag and turns to leave. I open the bag and see the birdseed, eggs, and milk I had been trying to buy.)

Me: “Thank you!”

Elderly Man: *just smiles*

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!