Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Grand Theft Innocence

, , , | Right | September 26, 2011

(Note: it’s illegal to sell games rated M to small children without parental consent. A young boy and girl, both about ten years old, bring a game well-known for violence, sex, and other child-inappropriate behavior to the counter.)

Me: “I’m sorry. I need your parent’s permission before I can sell you this.”

Kid #1: “Why? He said we can have it. We have the other ones. Just sell it to me.”

Me: “I’m sorry. I’ll have to get your parent’s permission first.”

Kid #2: “Fine. I’ll go get him. Daddy is in the car.”

(The kid returns, followed by her irate dad.)

Dad: “Why won’t you sell them this stupid game? I had to get out of the car because you can’t trust my children not to buy something they shouldn’t. I have good kids!”

Me: “I’m sure you do, sir. It’s a law, though. I can get fired if I don’t make sure to get your permission.”

Dad: “There’s nothing wrong with this game! I want to see your manager!”

Me: “Sure.”

(My manager comes over and gets an earful from the guy. He explains how I’ve insulted him and his children by making him come inside.)

Manager: “Well, sir, she’s absolutely right. This game is rated mature and has some pretty rough language and sexual content.”

Dad: “Don’t you think I know what the game is? They have the other ones.”

Manager: “I’m a little surprised, sir. I don’t allow my kids to play this game. It’s pretty violent.”

Dad: “I turn the volume down! What kind of parent do you think I am?”

Manager: “Well, sir, you can’t turn the volume down on beating a hooker with a baseball bat.”

(The dad storms out of the store with his kids, all the while asking if they knew about the hookers and baseball bats.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!