Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Grand Theft Innocence, Part 8

| Right | February 13, 2014

(I’m a customer at a popular independent games store in Helsinki. The store is very busy at the moment. I’m third in line when a customer storms in and rushes to the counter.)

Customer: “Hey! I want my money back!”

(The cashier completely ignores him, and keeps serving the customer whose actual turn it is.)

Customer: “Hey! Nerd! I’m talking to you!”

(The cashier still ignores him and serves the next customer.)

Customer: “F****** nerd! Listen to me!”

(When I am next in line the customer tries to grab the cashier’s hand. He manages to avoid this. The cashier looks at me as if asking for permission to deal with the angry customer. I nod and the cashier finally talks to the angry customer.)

Cashier: “There is no way that you are going to get any help from me before I finish serving all these other customers who are politely waiting in line.”

Customer: “F*** that! I have a complaint and I want my money back! Serve me now or you’re going to get your a** kicked!”

(The customer is a big man and the cashier is quite small and skinny. Luckily, at 6’6″ I am even bigger, and having played hockey all my life I’m quite fit as well.)

Me: “No, he is not going to get his a** kicked.”

(The customer turns to me to yell something, but as he sees me he goes quiet. He turns to back to the cashier and continues his rant in a much calmer but still angry and derogatory tone.)

Customer: “Listen, you little s***. I want my money back from this game.”

(He waves a copy of ‘Grand Theft Auto V’.)

Cashier: “I absolutely refuse to serve you before all these other customers, who are being patient and polite. You will get service from me after everyone who acts nicer than you has been helped first.”

Customer: “Get me your manager! Now!”

Cashier: “I am the owner. Now you go to the back of the line.”

(The customer starts to say something, but I push past him in a not very gentle way. He goes to the back of the line muttering. I buy my game but decide to stay in the store until the angry customer leaves. When it’s finally his turn he slams the game on the counter.)

Customer: “Money back!”

(The cashier opens the case and looks at the game.)

Cashier: “Looks perfect to me. Why do you want your money back?”

Customer: “The game is totally inappropriate for my son! No one told me it was so violent when I bought it!”

Cashier: “I clearly remember you buying it. You had your son with you, who looked to be about 10 years old. I told you it has sex, killing, torture, crime, and drugs in it. I advised you several times not to buy it. You even told me it was for you, not your son. My guess is that the boy’s mother threw a fit after seeing the game and now you are taking it out on me. You will not get your money back. Ever. And you are not welcome in my store anymore.”

Customer: “Look here, you little—”

(I have walked to stand behind the customer. I cough and he turns to me and goes pale. He leaves without saying a word.)

Cashier: “Thanks, man!”

Me: “No problem, I love the way you handled him. Maybe a little provocative but he deserved every minute of it.”

Cashier: “He was a complete a**hole when he bought the game, and the minute I saw him today I guessed what his issue was. Customers like that are the reason I started my own store. I hate to see bullies get special treatment for acting threatening and being difficult, while all the nice customers wait. I try to be as slow and difficult as possible to customers like him. Honestly, their business is not worth it.”

(The store is still thriving. I guess there are still enough nice customers out there!)

Related:
Grand Theft Innocence, Part 7
Grand Theft Innocence, Part 6
Grand Theft Innocence, Part 5
Grand Theft Innocence, Part 4
Grand Theft Innocence, Part 3 

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!