Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Gotta Give Them Credit For Trying, Part 3

, , , | Right | November 14, 2019

(This is an actual conversation I had with someone working at the billing department of a cable company.)

Me: “Thank you for calling [Company]; how may I help you?”

Customer: “Yes, I want my credit card back!”

(Long pause, I make an awkward face.)

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am, but this is the call center billing department, not the cable store. What is the issue with your credit card?”

Customer: “Well, here’s what happened. I went to the cable store and I didn’t get there before it closes. But my bill is due today. So, I took an envelope, included my statement portion that had my balance and account info, and I also put in my credit card and a note that read, ‘Please process payment and return to forwarding address.’ I then dumped the envelope and its contents into the dropbox outside the store. Well, it’s been over a week and I have yet to receive my credit card.”

(I pause for a few seconds in shock that this woman did this.)

Me: “Well, ma’am, I’m sorry to say, but there is a possibility that your card might be stolen.”

Customer: “What you mean, it’s stolen? What am I supposed to do now? Go talk to the store?”

Me: “Well, the first thing I’d do is contact your bank and report your card stolen to avoid fraudulent charges. Then, you can talk to the store manager about that issue.”

Customer: “Will they do something?”

Me: “I honestly don’t know, ma’am. I’m guessing they’ll have to file a report and do some sort of an investigation.”

Customer: “Well, what was I supposed to do in that situation?”

Me: “Ma’am, you do realize that the dropbox is for check or money order payments only? If you were going to make a credit card payment we could’ve done it for you for no charge.”

Customer: “Oh… I don’t trust making a payment over the phone.”

(And yet she trusted putting her credit card in an envelope to be returned back to her?) 

Related:
Gotta Give Them Credit For Trying, Part 2
Gotta Give Them Credit For Trying

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!