Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #56680

Unfiltered | December 24, 2015

(I used to work in a call center for a very large insurance company. At this point in my career I was still a contract employee meaning that I was employed technically by another firm to work for the insurance company. Many of the agents from the insurance company didn’t have an issue with contractors. However…)

Me: Thank you for calling [Insurance Company] Help Desk, this is [My Name], how can I help you today?

Agent: Yeah I’m having a problem with the server in my office and I need some help fixing it along with the printer and some other stuff.

Me: Sure! I can definitely help you with that. Could I get your name so that I can get started by creating a ticket just in case I can’t resolve all the problems you’ve been having today?

Agent: Yeah it’s [Name] of [Agency Name known for being difficult].

Me: Alright, so I see that the issue with your server just requires a reboot of the computer itself. So why don’t we fix the printer stuff first and then we can reboot the server last that way your office can still function?

Agent: Yeah sure no problem.

Me: (I begin working on his printer issue and decide to make small talk) So you’ve been an agent with us for quite a while now. How do you like it?

Agent: Well yeah, except that corporate has been hiring all these contractors lately and they just don’t care about the business you know? They just don’t give the same level of customer service that a true agent of the company would. I mean all they do is fix the problem but then they leave something broken so we have to call again and again. (He continues ranting using words like incompetent, rude, obnoxious, while I’m fixing the printer and we finally get to the part where we need to restart the server)

Me: I can certainly understand your frustration with that. I need you to restart the server which is just simply holding the power button on the front until it turns off then wait about a minute then turn it back on again. While you’re doing that, I’d like to just interject and say that I sincerely hope that I’ve solved all your problems today.

Agent: Yes you’ve been great, things are functioning much better.

Me: Good, well, I want you to know that I am one of those contractors that you were complaining about earlier. I’m sorry you feel that way that we are as you said incompetent, rude, or obnoxious. I’ll be sure not to be that way ever again. Okay, you can go ahead and turn that server back on now.

Agent: [silent]

Me: Did that fix your issue sir?

Agent: Yes, yes it did. I’m sorry for what I said. If you’re even in [area where the agency is located] come find me and you’ll have yourself a job.

Me: Have a nice day sir thank you for calling [Insurance Company] Help Desk.

(I talked to him several more times over the course of working for that company and he was much more pleasant afterwards. Never again did he complain about the contractors and he would often ask for me by name!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!