Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Got A Complaint? Take A Number

, , , , | Working | April 20, 2020

A craft/fabric store in our town has recently started using a ticket numbering system for the fabric cutting counter. The first time I see it I think it’s a great idea, since you can take a number and continue browsing while waiting for your number to be called instead of standing in a long line.

So, the first time I need fabric cut, I walk up to the counter where one woman is getting fabric measured, and I take a number. I see my number is 26 and the big overhead screen shows they are currently serving 22. Cool, I’ll look at the clearance fabric next to the counter while I wait. I’m still right there; I just have my back to the counter. 

After what seems like a long time of not hearing any other numbers called, I turn to look since I’m curious why that one woman’s order is taking so long. To my surprise, someone else is getting fabric cut, and there’s a line of three little old ladies at the counter. Confused, I walk up and see that yes, they still say they are serving 22.

When I ask the employee cutting fabric what’s going on with the number system, she laughs and tells me that corporate made them put it in and she thinks it’s a stupid system. I look up at the screen and then at the ticket in my hand, and I ask, “What happened to 23 to 25?” The employee shrugs and tells me to get to the back of the line. I decline, put my fabric down, and head towards the front door.

On the way, I see a manager, and I complain about them having all these signs telling people to use the new “avoid the line!” ticket system when they aren’t actually using it, because I wasted time waiting for my number to be called when it was never going to be. The manager looks confused.

The next time I go into that store I walk past the fabric counter. “You need a ticket!” an employee shouts at me. I look over, confused since I don’t even have any fabric in my hand. The employees behind the counter start ranting about how they got in trouble because a customer complained they weren’t using the new system, and how “dumb snowflake didn’t want to wait in line.” A customer who was walking up to the counter with a bolt of fabric joins in mocking this mysterious customer who was too spoiled to wait in line.

Again, I left without buying anything. This time I called in to talk to a manager. I get that change is hard, but I’m still surprised I got so much hate from the employees for trying to read the signs and follow instructions.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!