Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Good Golly Gossip!

, , , | Working | November 2, 2020

This happens a number of years ago when I am at the start of my career. One day, the head of accounts is escorted out by two managers. He looks defeated, head hanging down. Accountancy is at the far end of the office, so it is a walk of shame witnessed by the whole office. No explanation is given other than him being let go and not allowed on the premises anymore for whatever reason.

Tongues get wagging and it is said that he was caught with his hand in the till. Again, there’s no official statement concerning the reason for his dismissal.

When the receptionist has a day off, I am to take over. A few days later, I happen to answer the phone when the auditor from corporate calls.

Auditor: “Is [Receptionist] there?”

Me: “I’m sorry, she has a day off. Can I assist you?”

Auditor: “Is it true that [Head Of Accounts] was fired?”

Me: “That is correct, sir.”

Auditor: “Why?”

Me: “I’m sorry, sir, but no information was given.”

Auditor: “But there is gossip, surely.”

Me: “I’m sorry, sir. I can only repeat what I said before; no official statement was given about the reason why.”

I started to become uncomfortable. The auditor urged me some more, but the harder he pushed and the more irritated he got, the more reluctant I became to tell him. It was only later that I realised that the last audit had been done by another auditor, and with the sums involved according to the gossip, the regular auditor should have known about the fraud or he was incompetent. I left the company not long after this and I have no clue what happened to the auditor other than that the next audit, just before me leaving, was performed by the other auditor again.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!