Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Good Customer Service Is A Balancing Act

| Right | January 31, 2014

(Our store has a special sale going on. We have a nicely dressed sale table with a tablecloth and the items laid out on it. Customer #1 is approaching the counter. I am folding shirts at an adjacent table while my coworker rings up Customer #2, who has a young baby on her shoulder. We have seen her feeding her baby with a bottle while browsing the store. As they’re checking out, the baby suddenly starts spitting up. It miraculously doesn’t land on the mother’s clothing at all. However, it does go all over the floor, down the side of the tablecloth and gets on at least five DVDs and about ten books. It narrowly misses Customer #1.)

Customer #2: *spins around, takes in the mess, and hurries out the door*

(My coworker, Customer #1, and I stare at each other and the table in shock.)

Customer #1: “The nerve of some people. That’s disgusting!”

(I’m so flabbergasted that I can’t help but laugh.)

Me: “Well, guess I should clean that up then.”

Customer #1: “Do you want some help?”

Me: “No, it’s fine. Guess all that babysitting finally comes in handy here!”

Customer #1: “Are you sure, dear? That was so incredibly rude. I couldn’t imagine making you do it all.”

Me: “It’s fine. I’m just glad it didn’t get on you! Just let [Coworker] ring you up. I’ll be fine.”

(Customer #1 continues to apologize for Customer #2 and to offer to help. I remove the damaged items and shift things around so I can take off the tablecloth. Once she leaves, my coworker mops the floor for me.)

Coworker: “Well, at least she kind of balanced out the other one!”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!