Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Going Against Policy

, , , , | Right | January 9, 2020

(We write and service policies for just one insurance company, which is included in our business name.)

Me: “Thank you for calling [My Agency]. This is [My Name] speaking; how may I help you?”

Caller: “I’m calling for [Competing Insurance Company]; please connect me.”

Me: “You’ve called [My Agency]. Do you have a policy with us, or may I provide you with a quote?”

Caller: “No, my business is with [Competing Insurance Company]. Put them on the line.”

Me: “I can only assist customers of [My Agency]. I have no way to connect you.”

Caller: “No, that’s not true and you know it. Put me through to [Competing Insurance Company].”

Me: “I don’t have the ability to transfer you to any numbers outside of [My Agency]. You’ll need to call [Competing Insurance Company] directly.”

Caller: “I don’t have their number; I only have yours.”

Me: “As I’ve stated, I can only assist our own customers. As a courtesy, I’ve found the number for [Competing Insurance Company] for you. Please get a pen or pencil and paper so you can write the number down.”

Caller: “I’m not writing anything down, because you’ll call that number yourself and transfer me as I’ve requested. I know [Competing Insurance Company], [Another Competitor], and [My Agency] are the same, doing business under different names. If you won’t help me, I’m cancelling my policy with [Competing Insurance Company]! Either transfer me now or cancel my policy!”

Me: “I can do neither. I’ll be disconnecting this call now; please don’t call again, as no one here can assist you.”

Caller: *as I hit the button to hang up* “F****** b****!”

(I was a bit surprised when she didn’t call back!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!