Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Give Them An Inch And They’ll Take A While

, | Right | December 6, 2012

(The chain restaurant I work for makes kid’s meals. They’re composed of a four-inch sandwich, a milk, soda, or juice box to drink, and apple slices, a cookie, or a bag of chips for a side. If the kid or parent wants something a tad different, we can always fudge the order a little. However, we can not stick a larger sandwich in instead of the four inch.)

Customer: “Okay, I’d like a six-inch kid’s meal, please.”

Boss: “I’m sorry, but the kid’s meals are only four-inch subs. You can get a six inch and make it a meal with a milk and apples instead however.”

Customer: “That’s fine. I’ll pay extra for the six inch, then.”

(I make the customer’s order and proceed to ring her through. Since it’s busy and I don’t want to cause issues, I throw in the reusable bag and toy for free, and don’t charge extra for the milk.)

Me: “Okay, that will be [price].”

Customer: *stares at me* “Why is it so expensive?”

Me: “Well the six inch is [price], but since you said you wanted to treat it like a kid’s meal, I didn’t charge extra for the milk and threw in the bag without charge.”

Customer: “But I’m confused. I’m looking at the menu and it says the kid’s meal is less than that. Why are you charging me so much?”

Me: “Because you got a six inch instead.”

Customer: “Whatever. I guess that’s fine. It’s just no one explained this to me. I’m so used to paying less! I mean, I come here all the time and you let me get a six inch kids meal for the price of a four inch one. So, why is this different?”

Boss: “Because whenever people order a six inch, they get to the register and declare they’re getting a kid’s meal. We don’t want to cause friction, so we just charge it as such. However, she heard you order.”

Me: “I can charge it as a four inch sandwich, just this once.”

Customer: “FINE! Now I know, I guess. I just hate paying so much!”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!