Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Give Me A Break Or You’ll Break The Law, Part 2

| Working | October 24, 2013

(I’m working at the grocery counter, and we are absolutely slammed and very short-staffed. I am on an eight-hour shift, and our payroll department automatically takes out 30 minutes of pay for lunch when we work past six.)

Me: “Hey, do you know if I’m going to be able to go to lunch soon? I’m already past the four-hour mark.”

Supervisor: “It might be late, but you’ll get it.”

Me: “You sure? We’re really busy, so I was worried.”

Supervisor: “Don’t worry; I’ll talk to the manager. It won’t be a problem.”

(My supervisor leaves to go speak with the manager.)

Supervisor: *to the manager* “Hey, can [My Name] get her lunch break? She’s already been here over four hours.”

Manager: “Well, if we have time.”

Supervisor: “If we have time?”

Manager: “We’re really busy. She might have to go without.”

Supervisor: “You know that that’s incredibly illegal, right? A violation of labor laws?”

Manager: “…”

Supervisor: “…”

Manager: *to me, grumpily* “Go on break.”


This story is included in our Lunch Break story roundup!

Want to read the next story? Click here!

Want to read the story roundup? Click here!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!